It is the westernmost piece of land in France. A place of history and memory, the Pointe Saint-Mathieu lighthouse is a symbolic monument for all Brittany sailors.
Rich in its past, its nature, its heritage, the site of Pointe Saint-Mathieu is a most pleasant place for walks and visits where the GR34 and the Iroise marine natural park meet, the abbey built from from the 11th century, its museum and the lighthouse, the National Memorial to Missing Sailors at Sea and the semaphore. After having climbed the 163 steps, the panorama is a real reward. The current lighthouse has been on since 1835. 37 m high, its white light illuminates the ocean every 15 seconds. With a range of 29 miles, it signals the route to follow to enter the Goulet de Brest. Electrified in 1937, it was automated in 1996. Its last keeper left the site in 2006. The Saint-Mathieu lighthouse has been listed as a historic monument since November 2010.